Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Let's Taco 'Bout It! Day Six

I finally made my way to the doctor this afternoon and found out I've got strep throat. Boo. Sick day and amoxicillin meant I had plenty of time to think about what was going to be for dinner. I decided on tacos because everyone loves tacos, I like to fit as much "cheese" in as possible, and I had just restocked my freezer with some Boca Meatless Crumbles.




I sautéed a quarter of a yellow onion in a little bit of Earth Balance Organic vegan butter, and added about two cups of Boca Crumbles. I added a quarter cup of water and quarter cup of plain tomato sauce that I had mixed with half of a packet of taco-seasoning and simmered until it thickened, about ten minutes. I toasted up some taco shells (two, because I don't have much of an appetite) and topped them with shredded lettuce, mild taco sauce, diced tomato, a spoonful of Wholly Guacamole spicy guac, Daiya shredded pepperjack style "cheese" (tapioca-based and probably the most cheese-like vegan alternative), and sprinkled with cilantro.



The end result? Pretty. Damn. Good. The Boca Crumbles don't have too much flavor on their own, but with the onion and taco seasoning, I could've sworn I was eating meat. They have a very pleasant texture for a meat substitute, and I gotta say that I really enjoy the cheese shreds both cold and melted.


1 comment: