Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The Beginning

I have to admit, two weeks ago to the day when I was standing in the kitchen at work and putting away a pizza with fried chicken and extra cheese talking about going vegan for Lent, I didn't have much faith in myself. I figured I'd toss the idea around a bit, sneak my way out of it, and continue on in the rut of bar food and takeout that I've been in for a while. My last attempt at living a healthy lifestyle ended pretty abruptly. It started with one day off from the gym here and there, to a few nights out drinking and eating. It turned into not having been to the gym in well over three months and eating anything and everything I could get my hands on, without a single thought about what I was actually putting into my body, or why.

And so spawned my Vegan for Lent idea; after that pizza two weeks ago, I quit eating meat, poultry, and seafood. All together. I figured it would be a smoother transition to veganism if I started out slow and still allowed myself eggs and dairy. And by dairy, I mean cheese. Pretty much strictly cheese. We have a love affair, it's a thing. I made it 13 days without so much as a taste of meat. I did fall off the wagon on Monday; it was my boyfriend's 26th birthday and I took him to Los Andes, a Peruvian and Bolivian restaurant, and had calamari and tilapia. Bad vegetarian. I paid for it, though. My stomach was very unhappy with me, and still is. So, here I am on my last day of being vegetarian before Lent, which starts tomorrow: March 5th.

I'll be posting recipes, food photos, and updates on how eating a plant-based diet affects my body and mind. I'm hoping this is just the cleanse I need to kickstart off to a healthy spring and summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment